Monday, June 25, 2007

Some Trivia about me:

I've been using the computer since 1994 shortly after I started to type. I've been online ever since I got on IRC from the Macintosh that was in the 'resource center' (did you know the gifted people have these too? I never would have known) at the Honors college at the university I attended. People like Jypsy and Dean Walker, Thomas McKean, others may remember me as I logged on, went to autism related chats and talked about "my beloved university' which is what I referrred to it as (I was very very fixated on the university I attended and being a student there, etc).

I've only ever read two books about autism: One and a fraction of one actually:
The Tony Attwood book about Asperger's, which I read in reverse, last chapter first, etc on the way home from a doctors appointment in 45 minutes, and one chapter of Donna William's Nobody Nowhere (got too emotional and put it down, reminded me exactly of the bipolar thing, brought all those feelings back and after I got done being all curled up and upset, I had that book taken back to the library.)
I have a couple of magazines in my bookshelf that have articles about autism.
I'm not especially amazed or interested in autism I just live it I don't need to study it too.

The second 'trivia' that it might possibly surprise people to know are the two characters, one fiction, one not, that I wouldn't mind and didn't mind comparisons being made to of me, and neither of them are autistic (that, I think, is just happenstance):

Fictional character I can relate to:
CHarley" of the book "Flowers for Algernon" buddy can I ever relate to him, so much so that when they put my first computer in my apartment I was pacing around feeling all weird about this New Thing and "and wuuut are YOUUU don't HERE?!" at it just like Charley and the mouse when they plopped it in HIS room.
I named my first computer Algernon due to this (it was also white and 'smarter'n me')

Real person I am actually honored on the occasionsl I've been compared to him:

Rudy.

That's the guy who was 'learning disabled' who wanted nothing more than to play on the Notre Dame football team (which requires one to ATTEND and be a STUUDENT at Notre Dame).. there's a lot of reasons, alot of ways why that story really 'hits home' and Rudy and where Rudy and I 'come from the same place' in more ways than one.

When I got the big idea to attend 'my beloved university' and was driven to it (no its not Notre Dame), that's especially when the Rudy references came about, especially from 'back home.'


More trivia: (I am also going to start trying to capture some of this stuff on my own website in the hopes that a potential biographer type will see and want to help if I have enough there):

I still have t-shirts and hats and backpack/bookbag with the initials and name of my beloved university stamped all over them, and I have quite a few t-shirts with The Beatles on them.
I have a baseball cap my father got me one year for my birthday that says "The 6th Beatle."
My favorite jacket (and pretty much my ONLY jacket) is for Spring and Fall and anytime a jacket can be worn (anytime I go out of my apartment that isn't a freezing or melting time) has one of John Lennon's famous lithograph drawings of himself embroidered on the back, his signature and other Lennon-esque markings on the pockets, front etc...

But I don't own any clothing with the word 'autism' stamped on it, not even anything like it, nothing autism/disability related at all, not one piece. I don't own any clothing with any reference to disability whatsoever.

I've thought very hard about trying to get a shirt that says "I'm huge in Japan" because a t-shirt saying that would be hilarious for me to wear or I could have one made that even says "I'm average in Japan" for the same reasons and it might be really funny (because I am 5'0" which is is really short for a woman in the USA but isn't for Japan).
Most of my close are used handmedown types picked off the givaway table for me by my home help providers, partially because I can't tell what would fit me and things like that but they can.


I keep thinking I must have already typed this on my blogs somewhere but can't find it so I will type it here:

Famous short women who are/wwere as short as me (5'0"):
All the following are 5'0" to my understanding, 60 inches, the exact same height i am (If I find this information listed elsewhere in my writngs I might remove one of them):

Yoko Ono
Cyndi Lauper
Janis Joplin
Dolly Parton